Brilliant Dam + Generating Station

Location Castlegar, BC on the Kootenay River
Construction Period Originally built in 1944 by Cominco (now Teck). Purchased by Columbia Power and Columbia Basin Trust in 1996
Owner Structure Columbia Power (50%), Columbia Basin Trust (50%)
Capacity 140 megawatts
Turbine Type 4 vertical Francis turbines
Transmission 0.5 km links to the Brilliant Terminal Station
Joint Venture Asset Manager Columbia Power
Operations + Maintenance Manager FortisBC

Overview

The Brilliant Dam and Generating Station were purchased for $130 million in 1996 from Cominco (now Teck). $100 million has been invested in capital upgrade projects and life extension work. The Brilliant Generating Station continues to produces clean, renewable, cost effective, power for all British Columbians and is considered to be one of Canada’s most reliable facilities by Navigant Consulting.

At the time of purchase, the Brilliant Generating Station was capable of producing 125 megawatts of electricity. Since the acquisition, a series of capital improvements to both the dam and the powerhouse have been undertaken. These projects include concrete rehabilitation, switch-yard replacement, spillway gate refurbishment, seismic stabilization, and a generation re-powering life extension program.

Columbia Power manages all improvement projects on behalf of the owners and continues to manage the operations of this facility and oversees all maintenance working together with our contractor FortisBC.

Back to Top